Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues

Post subject: Anyone familiar with Taiaiake Alfred and Resurgence?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 am 
Warrior

Nation: mutt
Take a look at this website if you haven't:
www.taiaiake.com

He's very articulate on a variety of topics, including the problem of confining oneself to believing in the value of interacting with governments, i.e. via treaties and law. There is video and audio of this Onkwehonwe Mohawk articulating ideas of indigenous resurgence (with traditional ways of seeing and being in the world at the forefront).

Well worth checking out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:23 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Thank you for this, easy target. He is a scholar from my com'y, works out in B.C. as the Director of the Indigenous Governance Program at the U of Victoria, but I didn't know he had his own website. Tho I haven't read all chapters of his two books: Heeding the Voices of Our Ancestors, and Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto, I have read parts and I enjoy his work very much. Like most Mohawks, he is a nationalist, and his ideas are very welcomed. I will be checking out his site. :wink:

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 am 
Warrior

Roshell wrote:
Thank you for this, easy target. He is a scholar from my com'y, works out in B.C. as the Director of the Indigenous Governance Program at the U of Victoria, but I didn't know he had his own website. Tho I haven't read all chapters of his two books: Heeding the Voices of Our Ancestors, and Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto, I have read parts and I enjoy his work very much. Like most Mohawks, he is a nationalist, and his ideas are very welcomed. I will be checking out his site. :wink:

Um, he's got a third book as well. Wasase. I think it's his most important book so far.

Post subject: Re: Anyone familiar with Taiaiake Alfred and Resurgence?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 pm 
Ranked Warrior

Nation: Gitxsan
Hey all...

I don't want to knock Taiaiake too much, but his Peace Power Rightiousness has a few flaws....

He criticizes the Delgamuuk'w court action as subscribing to the colonial system. BIG MISINTERPRETATION! The Gitxsan don't capitulate to anything colonial. He needs to gain a further understanding of exactly WHAT the Wilps Liliget (Potlatch is a very watered down interpretation of the concept) is really all about. Since this infant of a country Canada has NOTHING even remotely close, the Supreme Court was the closest venue the Gitxsan could find to raise the issue. This is a far cry from subscribing to the Canadian way.

As far as the rest goes, it's good to see more books published that advocate Aboriginal nationalism and independence. If we truly want to be free, we need to take it and exercise it. I'm fortunate to come from a relatively remote territory where I can still walk out there and hunt without worrying about "the man" laying the hammer down on me.

Anyway.. keep in mind, Im NOT a Taiaiake hater or anything, but we can't UNsay stuff, so we have to be very careful about what we DO say.

...Crazy Horse

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

LaxXsinDjihl,

KH (K) sent this to me: http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/ ... mKeith.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:46 am 
Ranked Warrior

If I can read the writing on that print correctly, it's by Patrick Amos. That would be consistent with the style. If memory serves me correctly, the Amos' are from Huu-ay-aht. (One of the 14 tribes of the Nuu-chah-nulth) It's a very nice print, but I'm a little confused as to how it's related to the discussion here....

...Crazy Horse

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
Warrior

LaxXsinDjihl wrote:
Hey all...

I don't want to knock Taiaiake too much, but his Peace Power Rightiousness has a few flaws....

He criticizes the Delgamuuk'w court action as subscribing to the colonial system. BIG MISINTERPRETATION! The Gitxsan don't capitulate to anything colonial. He needs to gain a further understanding of exactly WHAT the Wilps Liliget (Potlatch is a very watered down interpretation of the concept) is really all about. Since this infant of a country Canada has NOTHING even remotely close, the Supreme Court was the closest venue the Gitxsan could find to raise the issue. This is a far cry from subscribing to the Canadian way.

As far as the rest goes, it's good to see more books published that advocate Aboriginal nationalism and independence. If we truly want to be free, we need to take it and exercise it. I'm fortunate to come from a relatively remote territory where I can still walk out there and hunt without worrying about "the man" laying the hammer down on me.

Anyway.. keep in mind, Im NOT a Taiaiake hater or anything, but we can't UNsay stuff, so we have to be very careful about what we DO say.

Why don't you write an email to him? He has been responding to me, even tho he's quite busy with his teaching.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm 
Warrior

Roshell wrote:
LaxXsinDjihl,

KH (K) sent this to me: http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/ ... mKeith.jpg

Hey Roshell, i'd just like a clarification. i'm figuring that you're meaning behind "rights" is not at all colonial, right? Even tho you position yourself, of what i can see so far of your views (only a few posts, i admit), quite within a Leftist approach (not that Rightist approaches are any better!), i.e. stopping (?) at challenging corporate dominance (typical Leftism that doesn't want to shed too much light, i think, on the big picture that the Left itself is a part of).

Perhaps you could give us a few examples of what you mean by "rights" from an indigenous/Native perspective?

Then again, perhaps i'm wrong for wanting to question this at all?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Well, Easy Target, looks like Ima talkin' to you after all. Me just wonder who u r, but I like your avatar. And I enjoy such discussions. Sometimes all I do is pitter patter away on da keyboard.

All our inherent rights are contained within the Great Law, or the the Kaianerahkó:wa
Wampum #6 can be interpreted as the Peacemaker came to the Mohawks first, as we know our Creation Story/theory, and we are the keepers of the Eastern Door.

There was a tree planted for the Great Law of Peace. And it is unknown how far these roots spread, or how big this tree is. Or where it's planted. But I have a clue or two.

And since the 60s, everyone seems to like the notion of peace in lieu of war. As proof positive, John Lennon couldn't stop siniging, "Give peace a chance," "the war is over" "Beautiful Boy" and "Starting Over," etc.

Others, after him, fell into the classic rock 70s, then the Occult era, (heavy metal) rock 80s (some found refuge there) with the 80s being quite awesome, then 90s dance mix, which some songs revitalized the 70s disco era! DISCO!! Disco Duck!! QUACK!!

Now some of the more radical ones are looking toward classical music to help them sleep at night, while listening to whatever makes them feel good the next morning. Human nature is really unpredictable, and yet, we continue to make migtakes.

Our justice system still has a way to go, as like everything else, there is room for improvement. It is unknown how well these POWs are rehabilitating. But humankind can't be blamed for how much they like something. These prisoners should be given more therapy classes in areas they enjoy. This works well in mental wards. I know. Maybe even some pets should be brought in to cheer them up, Or they can make or draw or paint their favorite image. Prison should not be a hellhouse. Even that Walk the line movie based on Johnny Cash was it? With that beautiful Reese Witherspoon and the late River Phoenix's bro - Joaquin (sp?)

Sometimes the boys, and even girls, run on instinct. But as they mature, they start to see the bigger picture of how they can't change the world, only themselves. And perhaps then we design our career paths. Then, as men and women, they run on rhyme and reason, or intuition since there is no such thing as freedom. There are responsibilities though and sometimes too many, and people need respite. (That's why I'm here, to slow the world down. JK.) :P

The mistakes buoys and gulls make during that transition, are to be expected. Mysself, I find a good cry or a good walk, or some rollerblading helps me with my frustrations. You men don't cry becuz you don't want us women to see yous doing it. But when a man cries, it's something. I seen my uncle cry when my grandfather passed away when I was only 6, and it made me cry. There's nothing wrong with men crying. They shouldn't have to go to war. Even if the war is only in their coconuts. (heads).

But there is a certain tree which our grandfather the Thunderer (Ionkhisotha Ratiweras) liked to strike, though it escapes my memory which tree it is. But there is one that was struck and I used to play on it as a little girl.

Your thoughts (Tósha tesanikonhrha:ren, I'll wait.) Don't worry, I'll wait.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:05 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Well, Easy Target, looks like Ima talkin' to you after all. Me just wonder who u r, but I like your avatar. And I enjoy such discussions. Sometimes all I do is pitter patter away on da keyboard.

All our inherent rights are contained within the Great Law, or the the Kaianerahkó:wa
Wampum #6 can be interpreted as the Peacemaker came to the Mohawks first, as we know our Creation Story/theory, and we are the keepers of the Eastern Door.

There was a tree planted for the Great Law of Peace. And it is unknown how far these roots spread, or how big this tree is. Or where it's planted. But I have a clue or two.

And since the 60s, everyone seems to like the notion of peace in lieu of war. As proof positive, John Lennon couldn't stop siniging, "Give peace a chance," "the war is over" "Beautiful Boy" and "Starting Over," etc. It's true, people won't stop playing his music when they want smthng, lol!

Others, after him, fell into the classic rock 70s, then the Occult era, (heavy metal) rock 80s (some found refuge there) with the 80s being quite awesome, then 90s dance mix, which some songs revitalized the 70s disco era! DISCO!! Disco Duck!! QUACK!!

Now some of the more radical ones are looking toward classical music to help them sleep at night, while listening to whatever makes them feel good the next morning. Human nature is really unpredictable, and yet, we continue to make migtakes.

Our justice system still has a way to go, as like everything else, there is room for improvement. It is unknown how well these POWs are rehabilitating. But humankind can't be blamed for how much they like something. These prisoners should be given more therapy classes in areas they enjoy. This works well in mental wards. I know. Maybe even some pets should be brought in to cheer them up, Or they can make or draw or paint their favorite image. Prison should not be a hellhouse. Animals can cheer up prisoners too. Even that Walk the line movie based on Johnny Cash was it? With that beautiful Reese Witherspoon and the late River Phoenix's bro - Joaquin (sp?). Not saying he was an animal, but he did give an excellent performance, as did she. :D

Sometimes the boys, and even girls, run on instinct. But as they mature, they start to see the bigger picture of how they can't change the world, only themselves. And perhaps then we design our career paths. Then, as men and women, they run on rhyme and reason, or intuition since there is no such thing as freedom. There are responsibilities though and sometimes too many, and people need respite.

The mistakes buoys and gulls make during that transition, are to be expected. Mysself, I find a good cry or a good walk, or some rollerblading helps me with my frustrations. You men don't cry becuz you don't want us women to see yous doing it. But when a man cries, it's something. I seen my uncle cry when my grandfather passed away when I was only 6, and it made me cry. There's nothing wrong with men crying. They shouldn't have to go to war. Even if the war is only in their coconuts. (heads).

But there is a certain tree which our grandfather the Thunderer (Ionkhisotho:kon Ratiweras) liked to strike, though it escapes my memory which tree it is. But there is one that was struck and I used to play on it as a little girl.

There is 1 guet on here and I can only hope it's Lotikwahu. But he stopped responding to me.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:37 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Soooo, "easy target," I didn't opt to remove you, whatever that means. You're taking too long to respond to my post. No wonder you're a male. Snail male, hahahahaha!

Chripe, what?! Has the cat taken away your philosophy of human kind? No wonder women were always already in charge of this planet. No one can undo what's been undone.

Jus takin' care of business....

And working over TIME.

I have read that all men want to know.

Know what? I ask.

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm 
Warrior

Roshell wrote:

Um, Roshell, about the tendency to label someone a "nationalist"....i don't think Tai identifies that way at all. He makes a distinction, i'm pretty sure, about using that word and how such words tend to use people who think they're using such words without unseen ramifications. But don't take my word for it, go give him the question at his blog: www.taiaiake.com

It's a paradigm thing, and if people uncritically accept frameworks (especially coming from colonial ones) that come with such words, well, they're doing themselves disfavor, i think.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 pm 
Warrior

Roshell wrote:

And since the 60s, everyone seems to like the notion of peace in lieu of war. As proof positive, John Lennon couldn't stop siniging, "Give peace a chance," "the war is over" "Beautiful Boy" and "Starting Over," etc.

Our justice system still has a way to go, as like everything else, there is room for improvement. It is unknown how well these POWs are rehabilitating. But humankind can't be blamed for how much they like something. These prisoners should be given more therapy classes in areas they enjoy. This works well in mental wards. I know. Maybe even some pets should be brought in to cheer them up, Or they can make or draw or paint their favorite image. Prison should not be a hellhouse. Even that Walk the line movie based on Johnny Cash was it? With that beautiful Reese Witherspoon and the late River Phoenix's bro - Joaquin (sp?)

Sometimes the boys, and even girls, run on instinct. But as they mature, they start to see the bigger picture of how they can't change the world, only themselves. And perhaps then we design our career paths. Then, as men and women, they run on rhyme and reason, or intuition since there is no such thing as freedom. There are responsibilities though and sometimes too many, and people need respite. (That's why I'm here, to slow the world down. JK.) :P

But there is a certain tree which our grandfather the Thunderer (Ionkhisotha Ratiweras) liked to strike, though it escapes my memory which tree it is. But there is one that was struck and I used to play on it as a little girl.

Um, sorry you had to wait so looong, Roshell. i get to focusing elsewhere and then i don't show up here for seems like ages. And of late, even getting online ain't easy for me to do!

Thoughts that come to me? Well, the one about men crying, for sure. And then your angle on wanting to slow the world down...whoa nelly!

First the slowing the world down angle:
The way i read you, your words come across to me like "rapid fire" (ah, an insight into MY OWN truths more likely!); and your words feel like they speed AHEAD of my fast, and have a magick about them where i actually do slow down, a little.

Men crying
Hm, curious generalization to say that we men don't cry *because* we don't want women seeing us. Maybe that's true for "straight" guys. And maybe it's true for a lot of "gay" guys, too (tho i know a lot who cry so easy that i'm surprised). Me, i feel so numbed out that tears seldom come to my face, most of the time. Tho i've had my days.

More likely, in my view, is that men don't cry --openly--because we've been trained to be cultural soldiers. That is, soldiers, as you touch on. We're "Supposed To Be" "Mature" and so on and so forth. And we have been deeply divided from our sensitivities thanks to our own experiences with the insanity of what we're Told is The Only Possible Way To Live. Basically.

my avatar
i like that avatar too, even tho it represents my spirit more than "me". Sure, i've worn dog/wolf masks (that i made), and thus it resonated with me when i picked it, but the bottom line is that that one spoke best to me amongst the limited ones i could pick from. And, so far, i've been too lazy to create something myself (as well as not, around here, having access to software, apparently, that would help me make one more accurately!).

prison
i think the reason that prisons are hell houses is because they serve as a kind of metaphorical illustration to the actual realities going on behind the PR facades (and inside the hellish-stuck heads) of the Machievellian mind-lock which works so hard to run settler Society.

Does that sound like a stretch?

Well, if we look behind the intensities of these things, and deeper than settler social planners' pragmatism to, in the case of the prison-industrial complex, block and stop "power spot" communities (of colonized, divided, and oppressed persons of whatever color) from even developing into serious dissent, much less anything more, well....(major mouthfulls of words there, eh?)....well, i think we start to see inside their hollowed-out heads and hearts.

There's one to chew on!

Btw, i like your style of writing, even when it's "a little tough" to decipher. i enjoy puzzling, sometimes!

Thanks for "giving me the time of day" with your heart in the right place (i gather)! :)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:57 am 
Ranked Warrior

I think that the term "Nationalism" is often interpreted incompletely...
In today's definition of a "Nation State", one of the primary prerequisites is to have a clearly defined boundary. We can't be in a real "Nation" if there isn't some kind of border crossing, customs guy, etc. This has been a struggle for many First Nations in BC, as especially in the Northwest, our "Nations" are actually confederacies of autonomous, inter-related house groups. (I believe the anthropologists refer to them as "Phraitries") Under such a system, one is literally related to their neighbor. As such, fishing, gathering and hunting grounds are often shared. This system makes it very difficult to put up a fence and claim your territory without impacting your neighbors negatively. Once that process begins, it erodes the entire socio-political structure.
Despite this "shortcoming" of the 21st century definition of a Nation-state, we are no less Sovereign, and no less a Nation than anyone else.

...Crazy Horse

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues