Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Introductions and Social Chat

Post subject: Re: The thoughts of a white person
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:54 pm 
High Chieftan

Hi Smee,

Smee wrote:
Thank you.

Was just trying to make the point that:

NOT ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS BEHAVE PROFESSIONALLY.

Each one must be judged on his/her behavior. We cannot give them a pass just because we have never met a greedy or evil one ourselves.

You're very welcome. I firmly agree with you. I've seen too much not to do so. Again I am very blessed to have a wonderful GP and a wonderful Otolaryngologist.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post subject: Re: non-empathy in medical staff
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 pm 
Warrior

Nation: mutt
Theresa13 wrote:
Hi Ollan,

I understand how you feel about medical staff. I want to point out, however, that I have seen some unbelievable acts done by professional medical personnel. My mother was a medical technologist for years with a masters in medical technology. She gave up going to medical school. I was a vet tech. Now you would think veternarians would be compassionate people, and I would say most of them are. But there are ones I have seen who have done some very cruel acts. I have also known doctors and nurses to have done some cruel things a few of which I was at the receiving end. It is an unfortunate fact that not all medical personnel have our best interests at heart. They are thinking more about the deities of money. Having said that, I am blessed to have a wonderful GP and a wonderful Otolaryngologist who listen to me and answer my questions. They don't let pride get in the way when they don't know the answer. They're honest and admit it.

Walk In Balance,
Deer
Deer

Hey Theresa,
I have friends and family who are medical professionals, and what comes to my mind is that there are two challenges they face:

1) Their belief system of keeping emotionally-distant, practiced in a rigid way. Which includes their distance from the wider community, say, bringing the larger community into situations and helping to ease the problems, via their involvement. I have been part of some places which allow for volunteers to visit elderly, as well as help in certain situations, but I'm not so sure this is very widespread. I think that there are a lot of obstacles, in most places, to disallow much community involvement.

On the other hand, there is the Hospice alternative, at least for elders. I don't know much about this, tho.

There is a movement to try to bring in a less stale/chilly type of energy into institutions like these, and that is the project started by Patch Adams (www.patchadams.org).

2) The difficulty of overwhelm. Being overwhelmed with lots of people who have been separated from meaningful community (except once-a-month-type visits), and just being over-worked in general, due to the bottom line pushes of the business aspect.

Board index » Village Forums » Introductions and Social Chat