Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues

Post subject: Nuu-chah-nulth Sea Otter hunt
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:41 pm 
New Arrival

Just looking for some feed back from First Nations perspective on the proposed Nuu chah nulth Sea Otter hunt. The Nuu chah nulth nation is planning on hunting about 20 Sea Otters for ceremonial purpose. Sea Otters were worn in Chiefs regalia...Sea Otters were hunted to extinction because of European slaughter during the 1700's and 1800's..then reintroduced to the west coast in the 1960's 70's.. the Sea otters have been removed from threatened status to speclial concern...the otter population is estimated to be about 3500 at present so 20 otters is about 1/2 of 1% of population.

Post subject: Seal Pups being smashed in to....
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:11 pm 
-------------

Maybe they are trying get their message across regarding those Puppy Seal hunt to to put a stop to that eh?Who knows?Where there is snow there's water.Poor seals....getting their brains smashed in is worse. When are we going to learn?When?

I do specialize in stencils artwork of the Kwakiutl 1st Nations.I do workshops in schools creating a stencilized coloring book.I do workshops in schools with students of all ages. References are on my website.Enjoy...

Post subject: Re: Nuu-chah-nulth Sea Otter hunt
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Crow wrote:
Just looking for some feed back from First Nations perspective on the proposed Nuu chah nulth Sea Otter hunt. The Nuu chah nulth nation is planning on hunting about 20 Sea Otters for ceremonial purpose. Sea Otters were worn in Chiefs regalia...Sea Otters were hunted to extinction because of European slaughter during the 1700's and 1800's..then reintroduced to the west coast in the 1960's 70's.. the Sea otters have been removed from threatened status to speclial concern...the otter population is estimated to be about 3500 at present so 20 otters is about 1/2 of 1% of population.

And here I thought it was only the buffalo out west that were slaughtered by the whites to extinction. That seemed like the ideal way to take away the food and livelihood of the Ndns for their submission to land surrenders, treaties and dependency.

Since that is part of your culture, what need is there to give the actual numbers that will be hunted? Are you fighting PETA or the corporate media over there? I believe PETA stands for People for the Ethical treatment of Animals only, not people. They were against the Makah whaling out there and the Inuit seal hunt. Modern day cowboys on their high horses.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:29 am 
Ranked Tribe Member

Shekoli Everyone,

Our main source of meat was hunted to extinction too. The Passenger Pigeon was hunted so heavily there were tournaments that counted barrels of pigeon corpses to determine the winner. There was once a '20 barrel minimum' advertised to ensure the poacher's mind was set to 'devistate'.

Seal hunt? I suppose if the population can withstand a harvest, then go ahead. I'd beg they make sure those coats they make out of them last many human lifetimes.

Post subject: Otter Hunt
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 pm 
High Chieftan

Dear Anniecha,

I have always been horrified at the plight of the fur seals.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:25 pm 
High Chieftan

Lotikwahu wrote:
Shekoli Everyone,

Our main source of meat was hunted to extinction too. The Passenger Pigeon was hunted so heavily there were tournaments that counted barrels of pigeon corpses to determine the winner. There was once a '20 barrel minimum' advertised to ensure the poacher's mind was set to 'devistate'.

Seal hunt? I suppose if the population can withstand a harvest, then go ahead. I'd beg they make sure those coats they make out of them last many human lifetimes.

Dear Matt,

The key phrase here is: " if the population can withstand a harvest. "

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Nation: xolatl
i didn't like the idea of a makah whale hunt nor do i for a proposed nuu chah nulth sea otter hunt.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Well Walkxtall, it is not merely an idea. It's a way of life for them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

maybe a little more information from nuu chah nulth sources

http://www.nativelegalupdate.com/2009/0 ... l-council/

Post subject: Sea Otters
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 pm 
High Chieftan

Hello All,

While I am an advocate of keeping languages and cultures alive, I do not condone this sea otter hunt simply because these creatures are still at risk.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:03 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Good morning Theresa,

This is the part of what Crow posted that stood out for me:

The Nuu chah nulth nation is planning on hunting about 20 Sea Otters for ceremonial purpose. Sea Otters were worn in Chiefs regalia...the otter population is estimated to be about 3500 at present so 20 otters is about 1/2 of 1% of population.

But I have a hard time seeing how we can be for both. Either we support the Nuu-chah-nulth to continue on their cultural ways, (and from the article that Walkxtall posted, it is also somewhat necessary given the present sea otter population is disrupting the food balance), and wherein only a small fraction of them are going to be used for CEREMONIAL purposes, or we're against it altogether.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 am 
Ranked Tribe Member

Healers and seers will value the energies given and focused from things in nature. They will profess that Salenite has a different energy field than Garnet... or that the spirit of the Red Squirrel represents a character not suitable when trying to conjure a Buffalo spirit, for instance. Sometimes, there can simply be no substitute.

The Spirit world is huge and filled with beings of all sorts and natures. It's because of this our teachings are repleat with instructions and stories on how to take care of our earth, and each other. There's a great deal of protocol with every step and every breath.

When going on a hunt, our people prepare. We are first commissioned to the hunt. Then, we burn tobacco, dance, and sing songs appropriate to that hunt. During the hunt, the families of the hunters will focus their energies in a certain way as well.

When the kill is made, it is done so with extreme care. The hunters use special tools that were prepared specifically for that hunt. The gift is not to be put into excess pain, or abused. It is then processed immediately by the hunters. Further, the kill is shared with everyone involved in that community.

The properties of the seal energy are very important to those people. They have an agreement with the seals that they no doubt need to uphold. Living in concert with one's surroundings is one thing, but to be a part of it is where the harmony comes from. We recognize these animals as our cousins, and it's never been in our indigenous policy to hunt to extinction.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:42 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Very well written, Lotikwahu. I only wish I had yur eloquence and cultural knowledge. :D

I never believed we hunted anything to extinction. And our traditional environmental knowledge systems SHOULD be given more serious consideration than they currently are. Unfortunately, from what I've read, is that the differences between TEK and science were more often than not, focused on, rather than the similarities and how the two could compliment each other. But, as the status quo goes, science is held above indigenous knowledge. Then again, what do we know? We've only been here and living off the land for tens of thousands of years.

Post subject: Who The NorthWest Passage Way?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 pm 
-------------

I recall reading a history book regarding Northwest Passage opened to enter the Pacific.That's when the seal hunt came famous for it's skin.
The Alaskan Pandhandle was so cold and they needed some comfort to keep themselves very warm.That is why they bought seal skins to cover their headdresses and garments.If you see some Russians wearing these garments to keep warm you can tell why these seal hunting was a very hot topic then.The Europeans use to go around South America to enter the Pacific,now they come from the north of the Alaskan Pandhandle.Real cold. Does that make sense?

I do specialize in stencils artwork of the Kwakiutl 1st Nations.I do workshops in schools creating a stencilized coloring book.I do workshops in schools with students of all ages. References are on my website.Enjoy...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Roshell wrote:
Well Walkxtall, it is not merely an idea. It's a way of life for them.

well roshell, the keyword is them and my answer is still no

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues