Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Culture and Cultural Issues

Post subject: white man and have a question
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:47 pm 
New Arrival

Nation: none
hello, I would like to start off by saying. I am a white guy and I have the high most respect for native and indigenous peoples. I come on these forms because I have a question? I have often wondered for some time now. And want to really know natives thoughts on the subject? I come from Texas born and raised. With that being said I was brought up on authentic Southwest jewelry. mostly Navajo, but I do have a collection of Zuni, Hopi, Santo Domingo pieces.. I have respect for the artist and the culture. I understand the work and hard labor that goes into making their one of a kind jewelry... It's beautiful and I like to support these people when I can. Mostly I wear old pawn that I have purchased from reputable trading posts. That I know Is authentic. but I do also wear, modern jewelry "tourist" jewellery that I bought from sante fe market. which is newer stuff but still absolutely authentic! I also have old squash blossom necklaces, Old santo Domingo battery necklaces, concho belts, and so on... with all my rambling my question is? Do you get offended when a white person wears native jewelry? I have often wondered this, its by all means not my intention to offend anyone. I understand getting upset when someone tries to mimic ones culture. that is not at all what I am trying to do. I don't wear it because it's the "new end thing" I have worn it since I was very little. some of its my grandparents collection. I DO NOT wear regalia, headress or any such things. But I do wear jewellery
So thanks for reading. I truly would like honest answers. and if it does offend I will well stop wearing

Post subject: Re: white man and have a question
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Nation: xolatl
greetings

there are a lot of tables on the navajo rez selling authentic jewelry to the public, so i see no reason not to wear yours.

Unless of course it has been stolen, robbed or taken in any other neferious way.

kind regards

Post subject: Re: white man and have a question
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:01 pm 
Tribe Member in Training

Nation: Lakota
Although im not from a native community so I can't answer your questions addressing the issues that I think that you are concerned about ,I can say for myself that anytime that I see not just white people but anybody wearing native art that I feel proud and grateful that others like yourself have a appreciation for native art, I think that it's great.

Thank you for having the consideration to ask these questions.

Board index » Village Forums » Culture and Cultural Issues