Discussion Forums
http://firstnations.com/forum/

daring to radically art myself...you?
http://firstnations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=235
Page 2 of 2

Author:  War Arrow [ Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

walkxtall wrote:
if you have noticed this is a first nations website.

intended for the use of first nations peoples.

from a personal point of view i come to this website in hopes of visiting with other first nations peoples.

for some reason or another non natives do come to this website, perhaps out of interest in native life or perhaps in hopes of stirring up trouble.

if i may ask what is your interest in being here on first nations?

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not even sure if I can really add anything beyond variations of what has already been said, but for what it may be worth, I can see the point made in the quote above and feel compelled to add my own tuppence ha'penny's worth.
When the white woman went up to Malcolm X and asked "what can I do to help?", he replied "absolutely nothing". I can identify with that on some levels. This isn't a sob story, but I've kind of lived on the lower rung of society here in England. My family were farm workers. From way back we've been cheap labour because there was no-one else who'd do it. The house I grew up in had one fire for heat, big cracks in the wall (and England is cold let me tell you) and my Dad's wage was barely enough to keep us going. Being a kid though, I was barely aware of this at the time. Everything I've had, done or achieved has been a struggle. My job is back-breaking and poorly paid. This is, as I say, not a sob story. It is simply how things are. Generally I am happy. What I have, I treasure. What I have achieved, I am proud of. The stuff that really sticks in my throat is those numerous people I meet from all the upper rungs of the class ladder who, through the feelings of guilt bought on by their conspicuous prosperity, feel a need to empathise with my "struggle". It's no better than those who assume that I'm stupid by virtue of my blue collar job. I suppose you could therefore say that I have developed (I think) a refined sense of the injustices of the world, hence, I suppose, my interest in this forum (amongst other things). I'm not saying that I necessarily understand the native American perspective, and nor do I claim there are strong parallels with my own situation, but if certain things didn't make me at least angry then I would hardly be human. I suspect guilt is responsible for much white interest in native American culture, and in respect of that, I doubt whether sympathy and pity have ever done much good to anyone. Personally, I do not feel this guilt: I'm too busy staying alive and I do not regard slave traders/conquistadores/colonisers as "my people". If people don't want "my kind" here then I can respect that and will accordingly either get lost or keep my mouth shut. It's not a problem.

Hmmmm. Hope that makes sense. Whatever point I was trying to make is definitely in there somewhere.

Author:  ollan xolatl [ Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 am ]
Post subject: 

War Arrow wrote:
walkxtall wrote:
if you have noticed this is a first nations website.

intended for the use of first nations peoples.

from a personal point of view i come to this website in hopes of visiting with other first nations peoples.

for some reason or another non natives do come to this website, perhaps out of interest in native life or perhaps in hopes of stirring up trouble.

if i may ask what is your interest in being here on first nations?

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not even sure if I can really add anything beyond variations of what has already been said, but for what it may be worth, I can see the point made in the quote above and feel compelled to add my own tuppence ha'penny's worth.
When the white woman went up to Malcolm X and asked "what can I do to help?", he replied "absolutely nothing". I can identify with that on some levels. This isn't a sob story, but I've kind of lived on the lower rung of society here in England. My family were farm workers. From way back we've been cheap labour because there was no-one else who'd do it. The house I grew up in had one fire for heat, big cracks in the wall (and England is cold let me tell you) and my Dad's wage was barely enough to keep us going. Being a kid though, I was barely aware of this at the time. Everything I've had, done or achieved has been a struggle. My job is back-breaking and poorly paid. This is, as I say, not a sob story. It is simply how things are. Generally I am happy. What I have, I treasure. What I have achieved, I am proud of. The stuff that really sticks in my throat is those numerous people I meet from all the upper rungs of the class ladder who, through the feelings of guilt bought on by their conspicuous prosperity, feel a need to empathise with my "struggle". It's no better than those who assume that I'm stupid by virtue of my blue collar job. I suppose you could therefore say that I have developed (I think) a refined sense of the injustices of the world, hence, I suppose, my interest in this forum (amongst other things). I'm not saying that I necessarily understand the native American perspective, and nor do I claim there are strong parallels with my own situation, but if certain things didn't make me at least angry then I would hardly be human. I suspect guilt is responsible for much white interest in native American culture, and in respect of that, I doubt whether sympathy and pity have ever done much good to anyone. Personally, I do not feel this guilt: I'm too busy staying alive and I do not regard slave traders/conquistadores/colonisers as "my people". If people don't want "my kind" here then I can respect that and will accordingly either get lost or keep my mouth shut. It's not a problem.

Hmmmm. Hope that makes sense. Whatever point I was trying to make is definitely in there somewhere.


i have always liked being able to meet people from other walks of life.

from my experience on the web, people seem more willing to let their hair down so to speak and talk about subjects that would not normally be discussed if two different people met on the streets of anywhere.

i also like the idea of visiting with a person as yourself, that does live the life there in england. seems so much more personable than those talking heads on the tube or slanted political writers in the papers.

anyway

it is a late night here in seattle, so am going to sign off for now.

maybe talk with you again tomorrow

>----------------------------------

Author:  orriorbridgesbetween [ Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

War Arrow wrote:
The stuff that really sticks in my throat is those numerous people I meet from all the upper rungs of the class ladder who, through the feelings of guilt bought on by their conspicuous prosperity, feel a need to empathise with my "struggle". It's no better than those who assume that I'm stupid by virtue of my blue collar job. I suppose you could therefore say that I have developed (I think) a refined sense of the injustices of the world, hence, I suppose, my interest in this forum (amongst other things). I'm not saying that I necessarily understand the native American perspective, and nor do I claim there are strong parallels with my own situation, but if certain things didn't make me at least angry then I would hardly be human. I suspect guilt is responsible for much white interest in native American culture, and in respect of that, I doubt whether sympathy and pity have ever done much good to anyone.


Sympathy, pity, guilt feelings. i think there's more to the picture than is presented, but we are not programmed to see commonalities. Nor are the slightly more well off (whose presence so often exudes Looking Down One's Nose At The Other).

We feel this patronizing-seeming attack, and yet i think it is not intended to be so hostile. i happen to think, as one whom has been thru some heavy b.s. and such, that people cannot help but to reflect their own programming and psychological genocide.

But they want, intuitively, to bridge with others. They want, intuitively, to revitalize meaningful community. But so much has been arrayed against that possibility. Even that possibility!

Another one to think through!

Author:  orriorbridgesbetween [ Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

Anniecha wrote:
Easy Target?My name is Cat Thunder and you are the most educated person to target Walkxtall.
All of Walkxtall posting? I ignore them [sometimes]and they are not worthy of sometimes .It is boring and to long to read.Reading yours make a lot of sense.The words you use are great.Wow!!!!
I am not afraid to speak my mind either and I read your post and I really and I am touched by the words you say and I am artist I respect your visionary words and all I did was being coloured within your world of knowedge.
I think Walkxtall finally met his match and I appreciate him not hogging this site like I told him he's got this "Know It All Syndrome" and he's got answers for everything it doesn't matter who post anything on this sdite.Easy Target, I love your ways and stay on and educate us not to be afraid.Cat Thunder.


i thank you. :oops: :roll:

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/