Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » The Stories

Post subject: Animals are people, too!
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:26 am 
Junior Tribe Member

Nation: Spokan
I lived on a ridge top, that was an extension of Buck Mountain, for several years. There were deer, elk, moose, bears, and Cougars that frequently visited this magical place! Every kind of small creatures would find their way past our house!

One spring day, this deer brought her baby up to the house. I would go out and praise the young doe for having such a fine looking baby!
For two more years the two deer would graze in the back yard, when the baby deer had a baby of her own. I would go out and praise her for bringing her baby for me to see. And how beautiful her baby was.

One day I was driving home and saw a baby deer laying dead on the highway, a few miles from my house. I always stop and move dead animals off the highway! Because a long time ago I did not move a dead animal off the road, and when I drove by it again that day there was a dead eagle lying beside the dead deer! I considered it my fault the eagle was killed by the truck!

Anyway, I picked up the fawn to move it off the road. Something inside of me wanted to bury this fawn. So I took it up on the ridge and buried it in my back yard! That night the young doe returned, like she always did. Only she was alone, my heart sank! When I asked her where her baby was, she would not even look at me! I knew something happened to her fawn! I thought a coyote, cougar, bear, or eagle had killed her fawn!

She went over to where I buried the roadkilled fawn, sniffed around for a while, then she looked at me and shook her head up and down a few times! Every morning I would step out on the back porch and give her my sympathy! She layed on top of the fawn's grave for three days and nights. Not once did she leave to eat or drink!

It still brings a tear to my eyes remembering her getting up, and she slowly walked away while feeding on the rye grass! And I am one tough Ndn logger! Animals do mourn their dead, too! This I know!

Post subject: Re: Animals are people, too!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 am 
New Arrival

Nation: Polish
We treat our animals( its only cat and dog) as a members of our family not like toys, puppets. It's sad how many animals are killed on the road especially on the busy roads. I don't know if you know but animal are special and they have feelings too. Sometimes they are smarter the human. There is nothing you can do to save them.

Board index » Village Forums » The Stories