Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Foods and Living

Post subject: Does Anyone Hunt - Bow
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 pm 
Tribe Member

Nation: Cherokee
I'm still learning archery and target practice at the moment - I bought a bow about 6 months ago, however, I didnt buy a tradional NA bow, I bought a nice compound bow instead. Anyway, I haven't been able to shoot it much as of I'm finding out hunting bows are quite an expensive hobby, so, I've been buying things over time. I finally got my arrow stop and arrow release, both needed before you can really shoot - as of my bow is very powerful and just about everything I've shot with it has sent arrows strait through whatever I hit, in fact, I even recently learned I can't use wood arrows, the kenitic force is so great wood arrows shatter to pieces when they leave the string...lolz. Its a Mathews Heli-M, it has 60lb limbs on it, [I have the bow tuned down to 50lbs], it weighs 3.5 lbs, has a 30" ATA, wood grip, and is rated at about 320 FPS. I included a photo, I really like it, its one of my favorite things I've ever owned.

I've elected only to shoot prey animals - I have way to much respect for carnivore predator animals [unless they try to attack me of course]. To have to shoot a mountain lion or coyote would break my heart, I would cry.

Also, I ask if there are any bow hunters because I have no idea how to dress an animal, be it elk, rabbit, boar...etc. I would like to know how the NA hunters used an animal, I know they wernt wasteful at all, I know the fur and bones are used for stuff, and of course the meat was eaten - but what about the rest of it, like the organs, is there anything I could or should do with the organs?

-RunsWithCats

Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Hunt - Bow
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 am 
High Chieftan

Hi Jeff,

I have a friend who's Sincangu Lakota and Jicarilla Apache who paints hides. They're magnificent. He doesn't do the traditional brain tanning. There are some NA artists who still do that, but the hide will cost quite a bit more.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 am 
Tribe Member

Nation: Cherokee
Theresa13 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I have a friend who's Sincangu Lakota and Jicarilla Apache who paints hides. They're magnificent. He doesn't do the traditional brain tanning. There are some NA artists who still do that, but the hide will cost quite a bit more.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Hmmm...I was thinking with the hide...say a 3 point buck perhaps would be perfect, use the hide and top of the bucks head and antlers to make a medicine man head-dress. Perhaps use some of the bones to make tools, peace pipes, jewlrey, and weapons. :D

RWC

-RunsWithCats

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:38 am 
Junior Tribe Member

Nation: Spokan
Being a veteran bow hunter, I would like to know what you learned since this post?
Not how many kills you have made, but what you have learned about the animals that you hunted.

Board index » Village Forums » Foods and Living